On Sat, 2003-11-29 at 16:35, J.Pietschmann wrote:
> Darn, racall the last post.
>
> John Austin wrote:
> > Note that storing the property name and value refs supplied
> > to the Property constructor will use 45,620 strings. If the
> > Property implementation employs canonical mapping to ensure
> > that only one copy of each unique string is stored, then just
> > over 2,300 strings are required.
>
> Have a look at String.intern()

Bruce Eckel said not to trust it for some reason. I have 2nd Ed
of "Thinking in Java" and the online one is 3rd Ed so I haven't
found chapter and verse for this yet.

The only 'bad thing' said about it that I could find quickly was:

http://mindprod.com/jgloss/gotchas.html

The other good thing we can do is .... compare these string refs for
equality.

--
John Austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>