--- John Austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The property strings are given to the Property
> object
> constructor by some path beginning with a SAX
> parser.
> It is reasonable to assume that the SAX parser loses
> refs to most of these strings and that the Property
> implementation retains the only references to these
> String objects.
>
> How big are String Objects ?
> At least 16 bytes plus storage for characters.
>
> What does this save us ?
> Probably only about 1,600,000 bytes for this file.
> CPU cost of creating strings is probably similar to
> cost of checking string table for a copy.

Just to clarify, the (additional?) "CPU cost" you
mentioning above is *not* occurring for the present
process, correct?  I think you're referring to the
cost that would be added as a result of the changes
you're recommending (because there now will be a
string table search to avoid duplication).

Also, the "string table" you mention--I think you're
speaking generically, but is there a specific, already
available construct in Java that we can use for this
purpose in FOP?  I'd like to find out what you have in
mind for a specific implementation.

Thanks,
Glen