Peter B. West wrote:
The thing that immediately strikes me about Arnd's development is that it seems to blow away the theory that incremental modification of an existing code base is always the better way to go. IIUC, Arnd wrote a formatter from scratch (except for some fo the font handling) in two years.

Peter

It would be interesting to compare some RenderX example output between the two^H^H^H three (ArndFO, fop-0.20.5, fop-1.0Dev)... I suspect there may be other significant differences as well, with performance, heap, etc.

Then again, the more I think about it, the more it seems like Peter's train-of-thought RE: FOP development destabilization. 'We' could be working on FOP development, but instead we're talking about Arnd's (and Victor's) development efforts (I have every reason to believe it is everything he says it is), and discussing how the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence.

Web Maestro Clay