Jeremias Maerki wrote:
fo:inline, fo:bidi-override and fo:inline-container are all inline-level
FOs and all allow block-level content.

I think an inline-container should create a single area as
a first approximation, unless the content fills a whole page.
Therefore it shouldn't pose a real problem in this context.

I have no idea how an inline container whose content overflows
the page bpd should be handled. Fortunately, in the case of
changing the write mode e.g. from lr-tb to tb-lr, the ipd of
the content in the inline container has to be fixed, which
translates to a fixed bpd in the context of the ancestor block
of the inline container.  Unless I misunderstood the spec, of
course.
The real headache is caused by the anticipation that the most
common use case for inline container will be embedding tables
inline, for all kind of purposes...

J.Pietschmann