On Tuesday 27 November 2007 19:10, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> Dear Foppies,

<deleted most of the post - read the original />

If I would be the responsible project manager who is tasked with getting
a FOP 1.0 release out with the feature set as described on the wiki I
would certainly strongly resist any attempt to do major design changes
internally for a benefit outside the stated goal of the project.

But, I am not in charge and this is not a project run with a team where
the project manager has control over what the developers doing.
Basically we largely do as we please and what we do is not driven by a
project plan or an agreed agenda but by our own interests, desires and
by what some of us get paid for to do. Yes, there is peer review and
design discussions, but no control over who does what when. If and when
a feature gets implemented, a bug fixed, a piece of documentation
written all depends on solely if someone feels like doing it or gets
paid to do it.

Under these circumstances it is very hard to object to the new
intermediate format. Why? On the one hand I rather see effort spend
towards stabilization and feature completion aiming for a 1.0 release
then a major possibly destabilizing effort towards a non core feature.
On the other hand there is no control over what developers spend their
efforts on. So how can I object to Jeremias doing this instead of
something else?

I can't, I won't and it simply doesn't work like this here.

So, for the new intermediate format, by all means do it if you get paid
for it, but please keep it in a branch until proven stable enough to be
merged back into the mainline.

> WDYT?
>
> Jeremias Maerki

Manuel