Jeremias,

Am Dienstag, den 27.11.2007, 11:10 +0100 schrieb Jeremias Maerki:
> it has come to my attention that not everyone seems to be happy that
> some of us are looking into a new design for the intermediate format

exploring a new design is never a bad idea. Indeed, one of the things I
dislike about fop's current design is that a lot of code is duplicated
in the different renderers, and if the intermediate format can solve
this, then it is another reason to use it.

The only thing I am concerned with is fops stability. I use the svn
version for everything, and I am happy as long as "trunk" compiles, and
translates my documents correctly. So if you do major changes I'd
actually prefer a branch.

One thing that should be considered in trying a new design is that no
functionality should be removed. This was one of the major drawbacks
after the 0.20 -> 0.9 rewrite, where at first many things which used to
work before stopped working (and stopped me from using fop 0.9 for a
long time). So IMO merging back the branch should only be done when all
tests run without disabling them.

Just my 2 cts.

Max