Hi Clay,

The Web Maestro wrote:
> I agree about consistency w requirements... Perhaps one additional
> release req 1.4, then move to 1.5 for the next release. I don't have
> any real energy about whether the 1.0 should be 1.4 or 1.5, however...
> I do agree that there should be a significant version change
> signalling the move from 1.4 to 1.5. Perhaps 0.96 (1.4) and 1.0 (1.5)?
> If FOP is going to switch anyway, is there a compelling reason not to
> req Java 1.6 instead of 1.5 for FOP 1.0 (or whatever version makes the
> jump)? Would that lock out a huge number of our audience? Would
> requiring 1.6 mean any significant performance or other benefit?

I’d say it the other way round: I think that there is no compelling
reason to switch to Java 1.6. Apart maybe from the internationalization
area, the improvements made in that version are not likely to be that
much of a benefit for FOP to justify the jump.

Of course, that doesn’t prevent users from running FOP with a 1.6 JVM,
and take advantage of the performance improvements made in that release.

According to this thread the majority seems to go along with releasing
a Java 1.4 compliant, 1.0 version. There would be a significant change
in the number of the following release, along with a jump to Java 1.5 as
a minimum requirement. That’s fine by me.

I propose to launch the poll shortly after the release of 1.0.

<snip/>