Hi Simon,

Simon Pepping wrote:
> Thanks to Adrian and Vincent who want to be mentor. We also need some
> ideas for projects.
>
> 1. Our releases require too much work, which has resulted in no
> release for much too long a time. How can the work related to a
> release be minimized? Can we develop tools to automate much of the
> work?

Certainly. A while ago I mentioned the possibility of using Ant’s
variable substitution mechanism:
http://markmail.org/message/mgoxf2ptvoffaok7
Putting such variables (latest FOP version, copyright year, etc.) at all
appropriate places would already be of great help.

Then it’s mainly a matter of streamlining the whole process and removing
as much duplication as possible. Just as an example, do we really need
to duplicate the release notes in the README file?

Speaking of the release, many parts of the website are largely outdated
and need a serious re-work (the Development tab, mainly). Also, any
reference to 0.20.5 should IMO be removed before releasing 1.0. 0.20.5
is a thing of the past now.

Finally, the website could really do with a new look. ATM it’s looking
so... 1990’s. I started to work on that some time ago (based on the
Batik skin), but never got to finishing it. Forrest sometimes gets in
the way, I must say. Maybe switching to an alternative framework could
be investigated. Especially if it can also provide higher automation.