Mirko,

there are many post on this list that point out the weaknesses of the FOP engine. The main enemies are : long page sequence and forward references.

If you use long tables, then you most certainly have long page sequences. If you have logical page break in your tables, please, change your XSLT code to generate page-sequence break in your tables. The shortest page sequence the least memory used.

As for the "lot of time" to complete the work, it appear that forward reference may be responsible for this. I hav had the same proble for 400 to 1000 pages documents that have the famous "total number of pages" at the bottom of every pages. I have successfully set up an unclean workaround : I generate my "total number of pages" after PDF generation is complete using iText software. I even generate my toc at the end of the fo file and then I move it at the top of the document and then write the number of pages at the right place on every pages. This is pretty simple if you look at iText sample code (itext.sourceforge.net).

The last thing : C++ or C or ASM formatter won't help much because it is the global design that makes FOP slow and memory consumer. The redesign is on it's way. The workarounds I have mentionned are just gizmo to allow one to wait for the next generation of FOP.

Hope that helps,

Cyril