I don't know what's the difference between "build clean" and "build" so I
called the build.bat batch in FOP directory. It works the same way - no
pictures.
Here's the log from runing fop.bat ( "fop test.fo test.pdf -d")

(See attached file: out.txt)

I'm logging also when running embedded FOP:

(See attached file: log.txt)

I don't know why, but this line goes instead to log file, directly to my
JDeveloper server console (5 times ):

[INFO] Using oracle.xml.parser.v2.SAXParser as SAX2 Parser

The version of my Acrobat reader is  5.0.1, OS : Windows 2000, JDeveloper v
9.0.3

If it helps, here's resulting PDF (data reduced, so only one picture is
expected)

(See attached file: 4648827014.pdf)