Gonzalez, Mark A wrote:
A little background info on some other things we tried which might prove
useful to others.

Thanks! I was hoping for something like this for future trolls^H^H^H^H^H^H...erm...followers of this post! (:-p)

As mentioned in the original posting, command line worked and when we
deployed the FOP servlet as its own application it too worked.
It was only when we deployed it from within the Cold fusion MX
environment that it did not work.

Given that, we suspected something with Cold fusion, but while we waited
for the admin to install the new version, we tried a couple of other
things.
1) When we installed the original cold fusion in order to get the
charting tool to work in a headless environment, we had to install some
graphics emulation tool. Well, we tried removing that. Once we did
that, the standalone application stopped working. Even though we are
not explicitly calling any svg tags in the xsl file, everything stopped
working.

I suspect the graphics emulation tool is along the lines of the PJA Toolkit (http://www.eteks.com/pja/en) referenced in the Batik notes on the FOP Graphics page. Is this the tool you used? If not, we might want to add it to our Batik notes and the Resources page, in case our users can't use the PJA Toolkit for some reason.

Also, the fact that you're running in a headless environment (I see you've learned a new term ;-p) and "...not explicitly calling any svg tags in the xsl file..." is why I made my comment about removing the "must load Batik" requirement. Jorg alluded to fop-1.0DevDR1 not having this requirement when SVG is not explicitly called.

2) The next thing we tried was to remove the addElementMapping in the
driver.java to not include the SVGElementMapping (as suggested by Glen).
Upon recompiling and trying that on the cold fusion setup, we got a
different error.  Seems that it made it past the addElementMapping
calls, but then threw a ClassCastException once it got to the
Services.providers call.  Now, if we ran the standalone application,
everything seemed to run fine, however when we opened the resulting PDF
file the embedded image was no longer there.  While, we are not using
any svg tags in the xsl file, it seems to me that some how the image
embedding must still rely upon the SVGElementMapping provider.

Hope this helps.

Thanks to all for your quick responses.

Mark

Thanks again for the feedback. BTW, we'd appreciate it if you could do a test using fop-1.0DevDR1, and see if you have the same or different results.

Web Maestro Clay