Clay Leeds wrote:

Forgive my naivete, but since Batik *requires* AWT (and hence can't run headless unless w/ Java SDK 1.4+), wouldn't it be better not to load Batik unless SVG is being processed?

Nobody bothered to arrange it this way in the maintenance code. It wouldn't be too hard, just delay initializing the element-maker mapping table until the namespace is actually used. I think HEAD work this way. For FOP 0.20.5, users who know they won't use SVG could remove the SVG element mapping from the setupDefaultMappings() method in Driver.java. It can be added dynamically either by calling addElementMapping() explicitely or by using the service mechanism without recompiling FOP. Doh, I remember where the service mechanism was used for setting up the default mappings too.

J.Pietschmann