On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> Hmm, and if you do PDF->PDF using GhostScript instead of PDF->PS->PDF,
> i.e. without writing an intermediate file? I think that should be
> possible. You may need to specify the full GhostScript command line to
> do it right. I hope there is some difference.

Yes that's it!

gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=GemBook_pdf.pdf GemBook.pdf

The fonts get different, but I can work on that.  But now AcroRead shows
images as well as super-&sub-scripts.  One word of warning: JPG images
still deteriorate in quality.

Jeremias, Andreas, Chris & others: thanx for your helpful suggestions.

--

        Tom "thriving on chaos" Peters