We've researched the issue as well and up to know we didn't find
any editor that has reverse engineer capabilities. It's all one
way, you can get the XSL-FO out of it, but once you changed that,
it can't be read back into the editor.

So I guess we just have to be patient and wait for someone to create
this tool (which will probably have a nice price-tag).

Oh and concerning XMLSpy, you might want to conside oXygen, XMLSpy
is good, but if you just want a tool for editting, xsl processing
and debugging, oXygen is way cheaper (and it's Java!).

Wouter