I've tried to manipulate the RTF by hand to see if there's a way to get
separate borders but I didn't manage. There's a "\brdrbtw" command in
RTF. It's documentation suggest it is used to control exactly that. But
I didn't see any change when playing with it. So I wouldn't know how to
fix this in our code.

Your best bet is to work around it by changing your:
<fo:block linefeed-treatment="preserve"/>
<fo:block font-size="1pt">&#160;</fo:block>