Not necessarily. The IndexOutOfBoundsException might have bubbled up
through the XSLT processor while it sends FOP its SAX events.

Eric, please post the full stack trace (including nested exceptions).
That way, we can identify whether the problem is in FOP or in XSLT. At
any rate we will also need an FO file to reproduce the problem in case
the problem really lies in FOP.