Hugues Leonardi wrote:

I don't know if I can help you, but when you build your xsl-fo file, does
your xsl stylesheet have this line:
<xsl:output method="xml" indent="yes"/> ?
Sometimes, if indent="yes", FOP produce this kind of error. Then, to fix
it, I built a xsl-fo file not indented with indent="no"

No, it is not set, which also makes the fo output fun to read.

The error no longer occurs in my HEAD version, so I will take some time in the next couple of days to check an older copy back out and see if I can get some good stack traces and other information. The changes I made before it went away involved changing inline links (ulinks in docbook, URLs rendered in footnotes) to bibliography citations, but since this just moved the links to the back of the document, I don't see how it made a difference.

Perhaps, this tip will help you.

Eric Vought wrote:

I have a relatively large (~40 page) DocBook document I am converting
to FO using the XSL 1.72.0  stylesheets and then using FOP 0.93 to
produce PDF on Mac OS X with JDK 1.5.0. Suddenly, my build is failing
due to a FOP exception and I am having a hell of a time isolating
the specific fo input causing it.

I am getting the following errors:

       [fop] Apr 9, 2007 5:11:09 PM org.apache.fop.cli.InputHandler
error
       [fop] SEVERE: javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: Index:
14, Size: 12

javax.xml.transform.TransformerException:

I also have a warning:

[fop] WARNING: Line 1 of a paragraph overflows the available area.
(fo:block, location: 731/-1)

which I have had for days to no ill effect.

The various documents (the DocBook 4.5 input, the fo input to Fop)
all validate. I have no problem producing HTML from the same source.
I was able to produce PDF yesterday and added a large amount of
content in between. I build html most of the time and check the PDF
only periodically. I spent several hours commenting out parts of the
new content in the DocBook source to see what triggered the error.

I narrowed it down to one paragraph and the end of a line, no markup,
just text; it looked like FOP might have had trouble finding a good
point to break the line. This is not, however, at line 731 of the .fo
output (from the warning) or anywhere near it.

OK, now for the screwy part. I started removing other parts of the
document to trim it down to just the section causing the error--- and
it went away. I can remove any of several arbitrary sections of the
document (that have been there for days without issue) and the error
stops. I am having an extremely difficult time producing a small .fo
sample that causes the bug.

Any suggestions? How do I track this down?

Sincerely,

Eric Vought

There are four boxes in the defense of Liberty:
1) Soap Box
2) Ballot Box
3) Jury Box
4) Ammo Box