On 05 Mar 2009, at 20:31, Andreas Delmelle wrote:

<snip />
I think, if one would take the time to artificially generate a first page-sequence with pages containing a lot of citations pointing towards the end of the document, you would already see side-effects to some extent. The actual page-numbers cannot be resolved before the line-breaks are computed, so... and here I'm not entirely certain. I have not yet run such test extensively myself.

FWIW, just ran the quickest test I could think of... see attachment PDF for the result of:

<root xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format"; >
 <layout-master-set>
  <simple-page-master page-height="11in"
       page-width="8.5in"
       margin-left="1in"
       margin-right="1in"
       margin-top="2in"
       margin-bottom="2in"
       master-name="foo">
   <region-body/>
  </simple-page-master>
 </layout-master-set>
 <page-sequence master-reference="foo">
  <flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
    <block text-align="justify" id="block-1">
      <page-number-citation ref-id="block-2"/>,
      <!-- repeat x 44 -->
      <page-number-citation ref-id="block-2"/>
    </block>
  </flow>
 </page-sequence>
 <page-sequence master-reference="foo">
  <flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
    <block id="block-2">This is the block we point to</block>
  </flow>
 </page-sequence>
</root>