Hi Stephan,

Welcome!

You should subscribe to the fop-dev mailing list if you haven’t already.
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/dev/index.html#mail-fop-dev
Any implementation details shall be discussed there.

The following page may be helpful to set up your development
environment:
http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/FOPIDESetupGuide

The first step would be to study the part of the Recommendation about
change bars:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#fo_change-bar-begin
http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#fo_change-bar-end
Change bars are also mentioned in the description of the
fo:page-sequence element:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#fo_page-sequence

Be sure to really understand how and where change bars should be
rendered. The Recommendation often proves to more subtle than you may
think after a first reading. I’d suggest to gather thoughts on a wiki
page on the FOP development area, with illustrations of a few cases
(one-column, multiple-column documents, etc.).
http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/DeveloperPages

On the implementation side, there are basically 3 steps I think:
- validation at the FO tree level (org.apache.fop.fo package and
  sub-packages)
- retrieving the start- and end locations of the bars during layout
  (org.apache.fop.layoutmgr)
- creating the appropriate areas (will probably have to be done in
  o.a.f.layoutmgr.PageSequenceLayoutManager)

That should be enough to get you started. If you have any question, see
you on fop-dev!

Vincent