We're very interested in this feature !
We've emulated this feature with tables and borders so far but it is a much less-than-perfect solution. So we would be glad to discuss it (in the dev list ?) and are certainly willing to help test it.

(Nevertheless, the little time I have to devote to fop-dev must be used to understand/implement table markers, that's why I'm not implementing this feature myself.)

Good luck !