Can you clarify? Because that's precisely what I wrote. Perhaps we have some misunderstanding on what the font-selection-strategy means and/or what "picked" means (who picks what by what criteria?).

Can you provide a simple input (XML) output (XSL-FO) example that currently renders incorrectly, but which is a little bit more elaborate then the "A=E3=81=82" string example? I.e., how would you deal with the selection of the font and what do you expect FOP to do for you?

Benson Margulies wrote:
We don't want to specify fonts char-by-char, we want them picked.