Von: Andreas Delmelle <andreas.delme...@telenet.be>
An: fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Gesendet: Montag, den 17. Januar 2011, 18:09:04 Uhr
Betreff: Re: [FOP 1.0] Worse performance than with 0.20.5 !?

On 17 Jan 2011, at 09:09, Matthias Müller wrote:

Hi Mathias

> i finally updated my stylesheets for Fop 1.0 compliance. Now i run into java
> heap space errors when rendering large documents (500+ pages, nested tables).
> The thing is: with Fop 0.20.5 it works.
> It seems that Fop 1.0 needs more memory than its predecessor. Are there any
> tweaks? I set the -Xms and -Xmx options to its maximum (1200m).

How much memory FOP 1.0 uses depends heavily on the FO structure.
Are you trying to render one fo:page-sequence of 500+ pages, containing a lot
of
nested tables?

If so, then it can very well be that 1.0 is more memory-hungry than 0.20.5.
If the 500+ pages are neatly distributed over page-sequences of around 20
pages,
the matter becomes quite different.

On the other hand, one also needs to take into account the fact that 1.0
implements more features. Extra functionality requires extra resources,
obviously, so I would expect /some/ difference.

FWIW: I did a similar test myself once, and a document that required +1GB heap
on 0.20.5 took 'only' 640MB of heap on 1.0 (well, actually 0.94 at the time).

Are there any other specifics you can give us about the document? (e.g. lots of
fo:instream-foreign-objects or other images, forward references to pages
towards
the end of the document...)

If it is possible and it contains no confidential information, you can send me
the FO source off-list, and I will have a closer look to see what the options
are, if any, to bring the required amount of memory down.

Regards,

Andreas
---