Of course, an extension can do anything you want. But you have to define it
and write the Java that implements it.

Again, I question the basis of your question. The XSL-FO tree starts out as
an XML document, having the root node of fo:root, and adhering to the XSL-FO
specification. You should write an external tool that takes whatever format
you like (wiki) and translates it to XSL-FO, then feed that to FOP.

Forget about the XML/XSLT to XSL-FO front-end preprocessor in FOP. If you
want to "define an extension" to do what you want in FOP, you are basically
asking for an extension to the front end XML/XSLT processing convenience
mechanism in FOP.  However, this is based on off-the-shelf XML and XSLT
tools (xerces, xalan). So basically, you are asking for an extension to one
of these latter tools, not an extension for XSL-FO.

G.