I have a nearly complete template for the Sigplan article format
converting Docbook into FO using the Docbook XSL. So far, I've been able
to figure out each element and have it working, so that I get something
that's nearly ideal. Unfortunately, there is one problem which I cannot
seem to solve.

For reference, this work can be found here:

  https://github.com/arcfide/DocBook-Sigplan

This includes the adjustments to the stylesheet and the like. It also
includes a PDF showing the document as it is now. At the moment, I'm
missing a small copyright notice that gets put as a block of text in the
lower left hand corner, taking up part of the first column's text space
on the first page. This brings the height of the first column up a bit,
and leaves the bottom of the text of the copyright notice flush with the
bottom of the second column of the title page.

Because this is meant for academic use in research publications, I'm
hoping to make it work with an open source FO processor. However, I
cannot figure out the right way to put that block of text right there. I
could use an absolute positioning, but that seems to be a bit of a
problem, because it would cause overlap with the first column. I can't
use a float because it would be rendered as a footnote if I floated it
to the bottom, and that would span both columns. The only solution I
can think of right now is if there were some way to lift up the first
column bottom edge so that I could manually ensure that the overlap
didn't happen.

I would really appreciate any suggestions and solutions anyone could
provide that would give me the look I'm going for. It feels like this
shouldn't be something out of my reach, and it would be quite depressing
if it were technically impossible, because academic publishers need a
good alternative to LaTeX. :-)

--
Aaron W. Hsu | arcf...@sacrideo.us | http://www.sacrideo.us
לֵ֤ב חֲכָמִים֙ בְּבֵ֣ית אֵ֔בֶל וְלֵ֥ב כְּסִילִ֖ים בְּבֵ֥ית שִׂמְחָֽה׃