Hi,

IIUC, you want to have the copyright block only at the bottom of the
1st column of the 1st page.
AFAIK, there is no FO solution for that; in one page, all columns will
have same height (at least regarding XSL-FO REC 1.1).
That said, you can easily change the 1st page body, , and put your
copyright cartouche in a static region of the 1st page (in absolute
position, if you want).

If your requirement is to change the only 1st page/1st column height,
the only solution I can imagine is:
 - add a space before to the 1st fo:block,
 - and tweak the FOP intermediate format (see [1]) to move up the 1st
column area.

Note that there is an open issue when using footnote in multicolumn (see [2]).

[1] http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/intermediate.html
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOP-1943

2014-02-05 Aaron W. Hsu <arcf...@sacrideo.us>:
> I have a nearly complete template for the Sigplan article format
> converting Docbook into FO using the Docbook XSL. So far, I've been able
> to figure out each element and have it working, so that I get something
> that's nearly ideal. Unfortunately, there is one problem which I cannot
> seem to solve.
>
> For reference, this work can be found here:
>
>   https://github.com/arcfide/DocBook-Sigplan
>
> This includes the adjustments to the stylesheet and the like. It also
> includes a PDF showing the document as it is now. At the moment, I'm
> missing a small copyright notice that gets put as a block of text in the
> lower left hand corner, taking up part of the first column's text space
> on the first page. This brings the height of the first column up a bit,
> and leaves the bottom of the text of the copyright notice flush with the
> bottom of the second column of the title page.
>
> Because this is meant for academic use in research publications, I'm
> hoping to make it work with an open source FO processor. However, I
> cannot figure out the right way to put that block of text right there. I
> could use an absolute positioning, but that seems to be a bit of a
> problem, because it would cause overlap with the first column. I can't
> use a float because it would be rendered as a footnote if I floated it
> to the bottom, and that would span both columns. The only solution I
> can think of right now is if there were some way to lift up the first
> column bottom edge so that I could manually ensure that the overlap
> didn't happen.
>
> I would really appreciate any suggestions and solutions anyone could
> provide that would give me the look I'm going for. It feels like this
> shouldn't be something out of my reach, and it would be quite depressing
> if it were technically impossible, because academic publishers need a
> good alternative to LaTeX. :-)
>
> --
> Aaron W. Hsu | arcf...@sacrideo.us | http://www.sacrideo.us
> לֵ֤ב חֲכָמִים֙ בְּבֵ֣ית אֵ֔בֶל וְלֵ֥ב כְּסִילִ֖ים בְּבֵ֥ית שִׂמְחָֽה׃

pascal