>some design decisions are still being made without going through the RFC
>process, either by mailing list discussions or by people just creating PRs
>without any prior discussion.

I've seen this several times particularly in Smart Proxy repo where
some design changes were part of regular PRs without proper
discussion. To give an example, dependency injection framework was
introduced as a Puppet 4 PR and this change turned things upside down
in initialization phase. The sad thing about this one is I executed
unit tests once for this change locally to see if it fixed random
failures on my dev setup. Since the PR was entitled simply Puppet, I
just made a comment without reading discussion or code. I am bringing
it here because I think Smart Proxy (and larger plugins) are also
subject for RFCs.

I have a proposal, let's retire RFC github repo and simply fallback to
mailing list but with [RFC] prefix so everyone is aware this is
possible design change, refactoring or larger proposal that is at
least worth reading. This should definitely not be annoying for anyone
to at least inform about intentions, motivation, reasoning and overall
design.

I don't think we need any kind of design documents, but short
description with a place for discussion before code is actually is
written is a good thing to have.

On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 9:52 AM, Tomer Brisker <tbris...@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> About a year ago, we decided to try using a new system for discussing design
> decisions prior to making changes, by creating a repo for RFCs [1]. Part of
> the problem was that when discussing on the mailing list, discussions tended
> to die out without a resolution, and eventually whoever wrote the code made
> the decision (or not).
> Since then, there have been about 30 proposals made in the repository. 22 of
> them are still open, most with no activity for months.
> So I feel fairly safe to say that this change has not led to the wanted
> result of getting decisions made faster or with more discussion. A
> significant part of the proposals have less then 10 comments, in many cases
> all from just one or two respondents. Eventually proposals are still decided
> on only when someone goes ahead, writes the code and gets it merged.
> This has also led to some discussions taking place without all of the
> developers even knowing about them, as it would seem most don't follow that
> repo regularly, leading to repeated discussions when a PR is created.
> In addition, some design decisions are still being made without going
> through the RFC process, either by mailing list discussions or by people
> just creating PRs without any prior discussion.
>
> I'm not sure what we can do to increase peoples' involvement in these
> discussions, nor what would be a better way of making design decisions, but
> let's try to figure it out since this attempt has not worked out as expected
> in my opinion.
>
> [1] original discussion -
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/foreman-dev/P9uRYV5K1Dc/xKMnzOOqDgAJ
>
> --