Hey,

this is another proposal to deprecate Github RFC repo and move the
content to our wiki. Reasons:

A) There is zero merged proposals for the past year (Jan-Nov 2017):
https://github.com/theforeman/rfcs/commits/master

B) Activity is very low (comments in 3 PRs last winter, 3 PRs last
summer, 1 PR last month):
https://github.com/theforeman/rfcs/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aopen+sort%3Aupdated-desc

C) There is only one published RFC on the front page (by the way I am
the author). I see some randomly numbered files in text/ folder but
this does not look like a friendly space to newcomers or even
experienced guys. We failed following processes described on the front
page obviously and it's no surprise - people in need of writing a
proposal need to focus on the most important stuff.

D) Developers naturally create [RFC] threads on our -dev list, some
random subjects:
* Make foreman STI to work even when an inherited class is not found
* Proxies with multiple interfaces
* Found In Version Katello Redmine custom field
* Foreman with Puppet in a wildcard domain leads to nodes mistaken identity
* Templates rendering only through Proxies
... and others I am gonna stop here. These are e-mail from core devs
and also our community.

E) It's been already proposed on list by Tomer ("Retire the RFC
repo"). Some people expressed intentions to use it (Justin, Eric, John
and Perry) but I haven't seen much activity (see above). One of the
reasons was time, but these days we should be pushing hard on
proposals for the next generation of Foreman versions and I don't see
this. Greg agreed this needs some more work around visibility and
process improvement, but I don't see much improvements.

F) Content is not visible, most of us don't use it and WIP RFCs are
quite unreadable. I want to read proposal as a completed document and
then I want to send a consistent opinion about it.

PROPOSAL

Let's close the RFC repo for new PRs, add a note that contents has
been moved. I will then move all finished RFCs to our wiki page. We
already have that for years, it's named Features:

http://projects.theforeman.org/projects/foreman/wiki/Features

There is a template

http://projects.theforeman.org/projects/foreman/wiki/Sprint_Feature_Template

And couple of proposals already:

http://projects.theforeman.org/projects/foreman/wiki/Pagelets
http://projects.theforeman.org/projects/foreman/wiki/Discovered_host_redesign
http://projects.theforeman.org/projects/foreman/wiki/Remote_Execution_Design
http://projects.theforeman.org/projects/foreman/wiki/CentralizedLogging
http://projects.theforeman.org/projects/foreman/wiki/PXE_Booting_UEFI
(I moved this one, I take this back)

The wiki pages are just a place to put content on, a opt-in way. Most
of us will likely prefer e-mail list for smaller proposals and I
encourage everybody to continue to do so. This is just a complementary
place, but it's not pulling conversation out of our devel list.

BENEFITS

1) Stops splitting place for important discussions - we already have
the dev list.
2) Actually *readable* content, easy to edit, easy to track changes.
3) Rich content - github hasn't invented HTML/RTF with images, wiki
can do it all.
4) Free form - just write your proposal, add a title, name and status
and that's it.

ALTERNATIVE PROPOSAL

Let's keep the github repo but remove all git content and move all
pages to wiki section under that github repository. Discussion will be
made in the devel mailing list. Advantage is that the syntax will
remain the same, but I hereby offer migration of all finished RFCs
into RedMine syntax.

--
Later,
  Lukas @lzap Zapletal