> 1) switch to postgres 8.3 or greater
> Some of you already use 8.3 (or possibly 8.4).  I would like to
> REQUIRE 8.3 or greater in order to provide better text searching and
> tools to facilitate database partitioning.  This means that if you are
> using <8.3, you will have to upgrade postgresql.  At some point we
> will have to do this.  I'm wondering if the next fossology release
> will be a good time.

Debian lenny has 8.3 and backports.org has 8.3 for etch, so this should be
OK for Debian. I suspect RHEL/CentOS might be a problem since I think EPEL
only provides software that's not already in RHEL/CentOS in some version.
There might be some other source for it, maybe JeffS knows?

> 2) remove the Metadata analysis
> If you are only interested in licenses, this analysis does nothing for
> you except cost you time and disk space.  What it does is extract
> metadata from images, doc files, etc.  This agent has caused many of
> you to have install problems.  It also writes a great many records to
> the attrib table.  Since (I believe) many of you run this agent
> because you don't know what it does and we don't really make use of
> the data, I'd like to remove the agent, at least until we make
> pgkmetagetta a separate installable module.

A) Yes it caused install problems, but a lot of that is behind us now that
libextractor is in EPEL and the yum repos make things easier.

B) For the Debian packaging I can make this happen pretty easily, I
designed things to allow for just this sort of thing if we needed it.

So I'd rather not remove the agent.

--
Matt Taggart
tagg...@fossology.org