On Aug 10, 2009, at 12:20 PM, Matt Taggart wrote:

Are you saying you would rather move it to a separate package than
remove it from the main package?

I'm saying it should remain the the upstream fossology tarball, but for
Debian I can put it in a separate package that won't be required (the
fossology-agents package will only Recommends instead of Depends).

BTW one other thing that needs to be fixed for this to happen is that I'm
not sure the selftest agent is able to deal with 'missing' agents.

Yes, selftest does need to be changed for this. There may be some other code that has a concept of "default agents" which would also need to change. In the future, selftest should read the db to find the agents to test. For now, it's easy to remove pkgmetagetta from selftest (so there would be no test for it).

I'd still like to know if anyone is using pkgmetagetta.

Are you saying that we should keep it because someone somewhere might
use the data even though fossology doesn't?

Yes. FOSSology is still sort of a one-trick-pony, but I think the metadata
agent is something that fits into the bigger picture.

I agree. We did it mostly as an example to show our potential. But now I'm thinking that we shouldn't have released it until we actually use the data. Right now it's a cost with no benefit unless people are doing direct db queries or are counting on a UI to use it in the future. The only feedback I've gotten so far is from folks who do not know what this agent does.

So far we have the following options:

1) Do nothing.  Leave as is.
2) Make pkgmetagetta a separate package (requires minor code changes and pkgmetagetta will never do selftest even if installed) 3) Leave packaging alone, but make same minor code changes as in 2, so that pkgmetagetta is NEVER run.

I don't feel strongly about this but am asking for feedback to find out if users would like a change.

Votes
taggart: option 1 or 2
bobg: option 1, 2, or 3  ;-)

Bob Gobeille