Well, respectfully I disagree, Gerard, on your view, or analysis of
the stats. Edit is used vague on our community: from writing a FA
almost alone to doing a WiiGnome task. We need both, but those two
activities require not a same amount of communication skills as well
involvement to wiki editing commuity lives.

We have a certain number of people who edit several languages. I edit
English Wikiquote and Japanese (even most of those edits are on talks
or project name spaces). I know some translators who edit several
languages - but I'm not sure we assure every those "multilingual"
editors edit main namespace of each projects mainly. I was honored to
be called Aphaia on all wikis once by a certain editor who visited
#wikipedia.ja, but it didn't mean I was then active as writer of
articles - rather it may have meant I created interlang links
aggressively.

So I'd like to ask in which way we keep and assure our community as
multilingual? Honestly I have been thinking this for years seriously.
Even on meta, it was not once I was accused just because I left a note
in Japanese - when I had a hardship to express my opinion enough in
English. I remember still how I was accused then - I was accused
because I didn't write in English "the language everyone can read".

How then can such a community multilingual? Or in other words, what
have we been doing for making our community multilingual? We have
devout translators - and always I thank them and feel honored to
collaborate with them,  but, or because I have been working with them,
I feel we need more other ways to assure and empower multilingual
aspects of our Wikimedia community.

Cheers,

KIZU Naoko / 木津尚子
member of Wikimedians in Kansai  / 関西ウィキメディアユーザ会 http://kansai.wikimedia.jp