Hi Karen,

I think these are good suggestions. But I think it would be a mistake to
leave this critical responsibility to a committee of volunteers. One of the
many challenges we face is that our voice and message have been too
inconsistent - too infrequently heard. Heard too late. Lacking authority.
In want of good taste. And dealing with this is taking a huge toll on our
ability to attract and retain contributors. Something needs to be done.

I propose that we hire or appoint a full time director of marketing.

With the following responsibilities:

 * Organize and work with a team of "advocates"
 * Grok and channel the voice of the project rather than impose a separate
agenda
 * Consult with the design, development, testing, and documentation teams
 * Help us clearly and effectively communicate our goals and objectives
 * Organize the creation of press releases / release notes
 * Blog regularly about ongoing initiatives and progress
 * Be a beacon of light to counter the darkness
 * Help us communicate proactively instead of reactively
 * Educate misinformed journalists
 * Be a point of contact for external parties that want information
 * Reduce the burden on volunteers
 * Delegate the above responsibilities

If nothing else, it is clear that we are failing to perform these critical
duties. We are paying a dear price for it. I think we need to admit we need
professional help - a point I'm sure even our harshest critics will agree
with.

Jon