On Fri, 2013-05-10 at 11:55 -0400, Karen Sandler wrote:
> On Fri, May 10, 2013 10:55 am, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > On Wed, 2013-05-08 at 10:02 -0700, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
> >> To many, 'gimp' is an offensive term an given our dedication to a11y
> >> it seems counter-intuitive to have this name in our infrastructure.
> >
> > I've never heard the word "gimp" used as a slur against handicapped
> > people (which I guess is what you're getting at[1]). What made you think
> > that there was a connection between those 2 uses of the word?
>
> To chime in here as another US-based native english speaker, I've come
> across the negative reaction more than once in the past when telling
> people to join us "on GIMPNet" and also when talking to newcomers about
> what other awesome free software is available for them to use. It's a
> connection that I think people naturally make, as the word is a well known
> slur. Since for GNOME it's out of context to anyone who doesn't know about
> the GIMP and the historical relationship with GNOME, I think it can make
> people unnecessarily uncomfortable.

irc.gnome.org exists for a *very* long time ago.  This is how I use it
and how I advertise it.  It seems to me that you should do the same.

I am afraid that changing irc.gnome.org from CNAME to an A record is not
going to change social customs.  If we want to change social customs, we
do not really need an A record for that, I bet most people are not going
to run "dig irc.gnome.org" to see how it is resolved.  It is up to us
(call it a campaign or goal to update web/wiki pages where we advertise
IRC).

--
Germán Poo-Caamaño
http://calcifer.org/