On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 9:36 PM, Sriram Ramkrishna <s...@ramkrishna.me>wrote:

> The original plan was that Diego was going to pay for the visa processing
> and the foundation was going to pay for the ticket.  Unfortunately, he was
> unable to get a visa and was out a significant amount of money and had
> asked if the board would pay for the visa application in lieu of the plane
> ticket.  Meaning if we were already going to pay for a larger sum of money
> anyway it should be OK to pay for the smaller amount.

My approved sponsorship was for 1000+ USD if I remember correctly. I spent 73
USD on visa fees and I spent 306 USD on flights reaching the Embassy. How
does my expenses exceed the sponsorship amount? This was all clearly
mentioned on the thread where I asked for reimbursement too.

> The difference between your situation and Diego is that Diego isn't going
> anywhere and is out of money.

I honestly *needed* 130 USD on the upcoming berlin hackfest but I was told
the sponsorship is to *help* and not to cover everything. I had to borrow
it from someone and now I in debt. Is my reason not good enough for a 130
USD more?

>  The second difference is that Diego only applied for the visa because I
> asked him to come to the west coast hackfest.  So it wasn't even his idea
> or his initiative but mine.  That's why it was looked at as a special case.

I did *not* apply to come to Docs Hackfest, Kat told me to. She was my
mentor then. I then applied for sponsorship after she instructed me to do
so. I was contributing to GNOME 2 months then, I had no idea about
sponsored events.  Why wasn't I special case?

All I ask of the board is not to bend rules. Whatever revision on the
reimbursement policy, please bring it in force *first* and then entertain
cases that occur once the policy is in working, not before. It is unfair to
me and to everyone who lost money due to visa rejections.