Hi Max,
On Wed, 2019-06-05 at 09:26 +0800, Max via foundation-list wrote:
> We are all volunteer  live in different time zone, we have real job
> and life.  So we will do community task at rest time of real life.
> It's good to do community task in reasonable time.
> I think ask question to candidates during the election time -- we
> might be see how busy they are in real life.
> To guess how much time the candidates could spend on community
> tasks.
> If someone is real great but he / she is 100% or 90% busy in real
> life, she / he might be have no time to help.

Serving on the board is a form of volunteering your time to help the
GNOME community. It comes with specific and quite predictable time
commitments in terms of the board meetings, e-mails, etc that being a
board member entails - usually around 2 hours a week, and usually at
the same time each week. As Carlos points out, these are rarely urgent.
The board has actually been trying to take a more "hands off" role -
focusing on oversight, strategy, etc rather than day to day or urgent
decisions. The Foundation now has 7 full-time staff and they should be
able to dedicate far more time and be more responsive.
So - provided the board candidate is able to dedicate these specific
times, I don't think response time or availability to volunteer for
additional things should necessarily be considered while assessing
board candidates for election - if someone isn't available to volunteer
for community tasks that doesn't mean they will be a bad board member.
I hope in my case the opposite is true - I am very busy in my personal
and professional life because I am on the leadership team of Endless, a
company that works with GNOME - but this means I have experience as a
director/executive which I think I can use to help the Foundation board
set a good strategy and sensible policies, manage it's resources well,
manage the ED, etc. Whether a board member takes on additional
community/volunteering tasks (eg organising a conference, joining a
committee, being an officer like secretary or treasurer, etc) is a
separate decision. (I personally don't have a lot /more/ time to give,
but when I do I choose to spend it on Flatpak/Flathub because I think
the app ecosystem is a blocker to the Linux desktop's overall growth
and impact.)
Cheers,Rob