David Johnson wrote:

> Thanks Alex,
>
> I guess I was looking for something more like the ACE report writer, rather
> than having to roll my own.
>
> Perhaps a better definition of the problem is in order.  Let's say I have
> an AIM* database that provides an average, and standard deviation, as some
> of the reductions on the data over a LONG time period.  I would like to be
> able to query the database, and place the result into an existing I/A tag.
>
> The primitive method of doing this was
>
> AWK script < ACE report | omset C:B.P
>
> I was trying to stay with something crude but quick to develop, like that.
> I have been trying some of the suggestions that people sent in already.
>
> David

I'm told that the program set (gethist.tar.gz) I submitted to the
cassandra site can be used with AIM*.
It allows extracting data from reduction groups and writes the data to
stdout.
It can take an argument -secs and will print the samples which occurred
in that time (including the first sample before that). Using -1 will
probably get 1 value. The tail -1 will ensure it.
You could use it to set the value of an OM variable with something like

VALUE=`gethist COMPOUND:BLOCK.PARAM -1 | tail -1 | awk '{ print $2 }'`
echo "omset -f $VALUE C:B.P" >/tmp/.om$$
sh /tmp/.om$$
rm /tmp/.om$$

You can't use xargs or the like because the value must be input before
the c:b.p.

I submitted a client/server program set (omrd) to cassandra which allows
OM variables to be set via a pipe. You might want to look at that as
well.

--
Darryl Bond