Op Thu, 31 Jul 2008, schreef "Vinzent Höfler":

Op Thu, 31 Jul 2008, schreef Boian Mitov:

Stupid me, to 20 years ago when I studied Fortran 77, I thought it was
obsolete :-)
I hope they at least have loops now, and who knows, it may even support
Hmm.... Hmm... recursion :-D .

No, Fortran is still in big use, and yes it is obsolete. However, it has
some features people like, like local arrays that are dimensioned at
procedure call time.

Ada and C99 have that. Scripting languages anyway... I think the main feature
of Fortran is the heavily optimzing compiler. ;)

With C you have exactly the same compiler. True, it is a reason against Pascal, but does not explain the popularity of Fortran.

Daniël