listmember schrieb:
compiler guys all the same} and ask, instead, to give us
reference-counted 4-byte (actually, preferably 6-bytes) per cell
arrays/strings.

What's wrong with an dyn. array of DWord?

Much like what's wrong with dynamic array of Word (as opposed to Widestring) or with dynamic array of byte (as opposed to string), really...

Nothing much.

But it is far more readable when there is special and reserved type for which we could have special operators and converters just like those we have for strings and widestrings.

Oh, I thougbt people just complained in this thread that + isn't appropriate for strings anyways ...