On Wed, 2011-01-12 at 12:05 +0000, Martin wrote:
> On 12/01/2011 11:53, Joost van der Sluis wrote:
> > Well, the version I use has version 7.2.50.20110107-cvs. But those
> > version-numbers are a mess. Especially since Fedora in fact uses a fork
> > of gdb (Archer) but it has the same name. It's this fork I base my work
> > on. And I don't think you can detect the difference between the forked
> > (archer) gdb and the original one.
> >
> > Maybe another way to detect this is: (After an application is loaded,
> > but you have to do this only once)
> >
> > set case off
> > b MaiN
> > ->  fails = old/no case-insensitive support = set case on (or auto)
> > ->  works = new/working case-insensitive support = set case off
> >
> > Or is that too ugly?
> Maybe possible, but I would have to do it the save way, that is, the IDe
> needs to detect if gdb crashed, and then be able to restart, and omit...
> => that is some extra worrk...
> Or maybe, it will be enough if I just combine that with the version
> check too. (need to find out.

No, I think it won't crash. (Mine old gdb didn't)

> Also need to see what else can be used in the version string:
> > C:\FPC\GDB\7.2-50_joost>gdb
> > GNU gdb (GDB) 7.2.50.20101116-cvs
> > Copyright (C) 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> > License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later
> > <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
> > This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
> > There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
> > and "show warranty" for details.
> > This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-mingw32".
> > For bug reporting instructions, please see:
> > <http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>.
> "This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-mingw32"."
> Not sure what that was on fedora?

Well, the official rpm: x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, but he one I build
myself: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

> Not sure if yur patched version can add something unique?

That's possible. But give it some time and there will be other versions
with these patches too. But to show what is possible, this is the outpu
of an official rpm:

GNU gdb (GDB) Fedora (6.8.50.20090302-40.fc11)

So the 'Fedora' string is added. I could make it something like
'Pascal-edition' ?

> Alternatively, as soon as I fix the user-config for the debugger (in the
> ide options) to be persistent (there is a mantis issue, so apparently
> it doesn't work)
> Then I could just add an option, and leave it to the user...

That's an idea. This is only useful if the user also uses -gw3.

> What are the chances for that to be fixed in

In what...?

Joost.