On Fri, 13 May 2011, Joerg Schuelke wrote:

Am Fri, 13 May 2011 13:43:52 +0200 (CEST)
schrieb Michael Van Canneyt <mich...@freepascal.org>:

If I had my way, I would remove the existing ones alltogether.
The one use case they have in FPC sources could easily be remedied.

Thats a clear position. If there is no macro support at all, I would
not ask to put parameters there in. And nobody else would do, too.

But now you have macros and they are nearly useless and thats the
reason, from time to time, somebody comes up with an idea like mine.

And from time to time I repeat my position on the matter :)

I really don't think the issue merits so much attention.

In my opinion, this kind of thing is not what makes a language useful. (if I thought so, I would have switched to something else a long time ago).

I consider the available libraries and standard routines are orders of magnitude more important: being able to take on any problem without having to think whether the necessary routines are available.