Graeme Geldenhuys schrieb:

Just the other day I had to use Delphi 7 again to do some maintenance on
one of our older products. That's when I again came to the realization
what dismal state FPC's debugging support is at - it's like travelling
back in time to the early 80's where using writeln() was the normal
debugging process. I'll happily pay the $800 licensing fee to
Embarcadero if I could get at the same time much better debugging
support under Linux.

IMO debugging support was one of the reasons, why Kylix was based on Wine, and the cross-platform versions of Delphi use remote debugging only. For that implementation a tiny (remote) debugger interface is sufficient, and the IDE can implement all the language specific debug support.

I'd be happy if somebody could tell me how to make all those "no such identifier in scope" messages disappear, that currently reduce debugging "support" to breakpoints, call stack and local variables.

DoDi