cced to lazarus list. please switch list.

On 12/09/2011 21:28, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
Martin schrieb:

Mind, I do NOT want to play down say that the lack of property support.

I didn't notice until now that my problems may be related to properties. AFAIR I also couldn't inspect global variables. I'll watch out when debugging the next time.

If that is the case, then your problem lays elsewhere, and maybe it can be remedied by config....
I do not recall having ever had an issue with globals, nor local vars.
Maybe you have some units, that are not compiled with debug info, like in packages?

About hints:
- yes they can overflow. A selectable/scrollable hint window is planned
- yes they are badly formatted. But the info is there.

I latest trunks, hint display the data according to the class of the instance, not the declaration

Sender: TObject
if it contains a TForm, you see all the data (except what gets cut off)

UPS:
hints in trunk have a few other bugs => not debug related

- without TurbuPowerIProDSgn (mo html hint) they do close, triggered by their own opening action, if they have large content => this is a hint issue, that happens outside debugging too
- with TurbuPowerIProDSgn they just keep crashing....

So testing the debugger for hints is a bit limited due to other bugs; sorry about that

WRT inspecting properties I'd be happy with the content of the fields, where a property value is stored, e.g. TControl.FBoundsRect for Left or Right. Calling getter methods can be dangerous, I wouldn't expect such support. Again I only realize right now, that such a feature may require an hint in code, which property is stored or derived from which stored field.

make sure you use dwarf

-gw

also make sure under "extra options" you add -godwarfsets otherwise set types may not work .
(ok, the ide should probably make that more automated...)