Am 03.10.2011 15:32, schrieb Alexander Klenin:
On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 22:40, Florian Klämpfl<flor...@freepascal.org>  wrote:
Am 03.10.2011 13:23, schrieb Alexander Klenin:

This way, you can develop much faster, without the need to fight for
your changes,

Others call this fighting "review" and consider it as important part to
improve software quality.

I'd say there is a continuum between those extremes, and (unfortunately)
from my point of vew, FPC review is sometimes rather close to the former.

FPC has to fit the need of a lot of users so we must be very carefull what we add and what not. Everything we add and which goes into a release must be maintained. We cannot easily kill packages if a maintainer disappears or if the functionality is already in base units. Unicode support is currently under heavy reconstruction so it's not a good idea to add new packages for unicode.

Anyway, what I suggest is IMO a good compromise and should satisfy both sides --
Felipe can continue development of his packages unobstucted,
while the quality of FPC will not suffer.

That's why I proposed a branch and that's what branches are for.

For example a TString* class for UTF-8 might even go into classes. But this needs to be done carefully.