On 03 Oct 2011, at 16:06, Alexander Klenin wrote:

There is, again, a continuum between careful development and stangation.
While acknowledging great work that FPC team has done on the former,
I'd venture to say that is came uncomfortably close to the latter.

I think http://wiki.freepascal.org/FPC_New_Features_Trunk looks quite good.

Apart from that, I agree with the sentiment that it does not make sense trying to stuff everything and the kitchen sink under the FPC umbrella. Everything that's distributed that way automatically becomes the responsibility of the "core" developers of the day, and that collection of source code has grown much faster than the number of people maintaining it (and in a number of cases, maintainers have also disappeared). So distributing packages separately generally indeed makes much more sense for everyone (more flexibility for the maintainer, less responsibility and stagnation risk for the FPC project due to additional responsibilities).

And in this particular case, there does remain the fact that the cpstrnew adaptations are far from finished and that part of the functionality in this "utf-8 package" may well become part of the RTL or FCL. If there is then also a separate utf-8 package used by fpvectorial, and possibly also by user programs, you can bet that people would (understandably) complain if functionality is then removed from this utf-8 package to prevent code and maintenance duplication.

That's also why Florian mentioned the branch: does not cause wrong expectations (users won't start using that package), the code is available in svn and therefore it can be used for finishing the cpstrnew work where appropriate, and before/when merging to trunk we can first look at what should be removed or changed to prevent duplication of functionality. But again: as a non-FPC package you indeed avoid this overhead and the uncertainty that when the time merging arrives, you won't be able to merge everything you want.

Jonas