On Sun, 23 Dec 2012, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

On 22/12/12 16:43, Marco van de Voort wrote:
I think you have a wrong idea on what the core list contains.

LOL. And how is anybody supposed to know what goes on - it is a PRIVATE
mailing list.

No, but I think you hugely overestimate what goes on in that list.
It's simply a list for some highly technical discussions with people who know how things work in the compiler and RTL.

It's not a list where we plot and scheme.

I don't think direction on unicode (or even general) came up since the last
unicode discussions on fpc-devel/pascal.

OK, so once again it is proven that Unicode is just not "sexy" enough
for the core team, so it will stay stagnant for a few more years.

No, this is not so. It is really a matter of time. I think people underestimate the impact of the implementation.

There are almost 1500 units, which potentially need checking and/or changing.

The task is simply daunting.

And that the prospect of 2 RTLs is not appealing is something we know,
but it's either that or throw overboard backwards compatibility.

The Delphi engineers have chosen the latter. It has cost my company lots of time and money to digest that.
You yourself are affected by this in tiOPF: Version 3 vs. Version 2 ?