On Sun, 23 Dec 2012, Sven Barth wrote:

to remember to mention which RTL they are using when reporting bugs,
keeps those two RTL's in sync over time etc. Yeah, it seams you guys are
sometimes not to knowledgeable either. All you are going to do is create
more work for yourselves. But hey, who are we to state the obvious.

The two RTLs isn't as difficult as you think:

Hey, don't minimalize the work I will do ;-)

Sven is right about how we'll deal with it. The real work is dealing with the consequences of this apparently little change.

As he writes:

Then one just needs to pay attention whether USE_UNICODE is defined or not inside those units and write the code accordingly.

And then go over all packages to see if all still compiles/works.
for example the DB units may prove to be fun, as they mixe low with high-level
code.