On Sat, 5 Jan 2013, Jonas Maebe wrote:

On 05 Jan 2013, at 12:53, Paul Ishenin wrote:

ResourceStrings are stored as AnsiString type with 0 codepage (as I remember).
Delphi now stores ResourceStrings as UnicodeString type. I think FPC will
follow this in m_default_unicodestring modeswitch.

It would probably even be better to always do that. At least I don't see a
downside, other than slightly larger binaries (and that's not an issue in
this case as far as I'm concerned; maintaining two separate resourcestring
systems/handlers is just not worth the trouble).

But it means that for

Resourcestring
  AString = 'Something';

Var
  S : Ansistring;

begin
  S:=AString;
end.

Always a conversion will happen.

I do not think this is a good idea given that currently, String = Ansistring.