On Sat, 5 Jan 2013, Paul Ishenin wrote:

05.01.13, 23:54, Michael Van Canneyt пишет:

You are very much wrong.

To start with, resource strings are not stored as Win32 resources.

I personally think that resources should be stored in their native formats where is possible. This will allow to change them using software designed for that environment. For example for windows there are many resource editors which can replace icons, bitmap and string resources too. It would be nice to have this ability also for binaries which FPC do. On OS X resources are also stored different from what FPC do currently - they are stored in application bundles as I know, so they can be edited by external programs too.

And Jonas is worried about the overhead in the compiler by simple 1/2 byte format ? I doubt this will relieve his worries ;-)

The idea of FPC's resourcestrings implementation has always been to be independent of any OS features so it is a cross-platform solution. That's how it is implemented, and as far as I am concerned that's how it should stay as the default.

If we do what you think by default, then people making a cross-platform app will need to start using different technologies to translate their strings. I doubt that is a good solution.

Currently, people that want to use native win32/OSX resource strings always have the option of doing so, but no special language support for it exists.