Current text:
There is nothing practical known yet about how portable an average .NET code will be. Little experiments with hello world level code mean nothing, that kind of code works with plain C too.

Proposed text:
There is nothing practical known yet about how portable an average .NET code will be. Little experiments with hello world level code mean nothing. At this moment object pascal code that can be compiled with fpc is more portable than .NET code that can be compiled with Delphi.

I think the proposed one is better. Agree with you. :)

I'd also like to question this statement on the same page:

> Moreover that also means that existing apps would have to be
> rewritten for .NET, since it would take more than a simple
> recompile with a FPC/.NET compiler.

Why Delphi has no problem supporting .Net without sacrificing backward compatibility (too much)? If I'm not mistaken (CMIIW), during Borcon 2005, Borland demoed a Delphi 1 application (the famous FishFact demo) that can be run on .Net by simply recompile it on BDS 2005. A similar demo is also presented when Borland launched Kylix, simply adding a few $ifdef for q-prefix and then recompile, the Delphi demo application can be running on Linux.

I know writing FPC port for .Net is far from easy. But the difficulty should be on compiler code side only. On the user/app code, it shouldn't cause significant changes. Since Delphi and FPC has same language root, object pascal, I wonder why existing FPC apps can't be simply recompile on FPC/.Net? Of course, I never meant it'd work for EVERY kind of apps and codes, but it should work for most common apps.

-Bee-

has Bee.ography at:
http://beeography.wordpress.com