michael.vancann...@wisa.be wrote:
On Wed, 18 Jul 2012, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

I was reminded of this when somebody was asking about portable signalling APIs the other day, but I think it's also relevant to discussion of e.g. how to pass a keyword to a help viewer.

I am obviously aware of the fact that FPC has an IPC unit which uses a temporary file, although I have always assumed that that was more to support targets like DOS that had absolutely no concept of pipes or sockets. But perhaps it really is the safest choice in all cases.

In which unit did you find this ?

The IPC unit in FPC uses a unix socket on unix, and on windows a Windows window handle to copy data.

I believe I'm thinking of TSimpleIPC etc. My apologies if I've got this wrong, or if what I read was outdated "Ignorance of the law is no defense").

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk