waldo kitty wrote:
On 7/18/2012 08:48, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
I was reminded of this when somebody was asking about portable signalling APIs the other day, but I think it's also relevant to discussion of e.g. how to pass
a keyword to a help viewer.

I am obviously aware of the fact that FPC has an IPC unit which uses a temporary file, although I have always assumed that that was more to support targets like DOS that had absolutely no concept of pipes or sockets. But perhaps it really is
the safest choice in all cases.

FWIW: DOS does have and has had pipes... otherwise things like DIR | MORE would not work... maybe you mean named pipes? ;)

Yes, I do. And I'm obviously aware that there are plenty of addons that graft named pipes (and mailslots etc.) onto DOS. However I always think of named pipes, threads etc. as being primarily OS/2 v1 innovations, although some might have been introduced by the obscure Microsoft OS usually referred to as "European MS-DOS v4.0".

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk